Friday, February 23, 2007

Days in the Life of a Pizza Delivery Boy • Chapter 2

I arrive at work at 3:50 PM. Nice and early and ready to get to work. Thursday night starts with me usually washing, drying, and putting away some dishes and various dirty items. When I arrived tonight I was informed that I already had a delivery order, it usually takes a couple of hours or so before anyone wants anything delivered since Thursdays are slow and most only order around supper time. I take a look at the bill to see who it is and to get an idea of where I’m going. This order is just up the road from the store at an old friend's house, so that's cool. I grab a slice of pizza to eat before the supper rush hits.

When the order is ready its time for me to head out. Once I get there I'm not even at the door yet and the girl inside opens it. "Sean!" She yells. I haven’t seen her in a long time since she's gone to university 2 hours away. Her March Break is a week before mine (this week) so that's why she was home. We talk a bit ask how school is going and such; it was good to see her again. Back to the store I go.

The traffic was pretty heavy at this point and of course backing out of the laneway onto the main highway is pretty tricky, you have to be quick, fast, and back out at the right time. After waiting a couple of minutes or so before I get a chance to go. I gun it backwards onto the road stick the car in first then I'm off, the traffic coming up on my ass is not doing the speed limit so I had to make sure they didn't come right up on me. I turn the corner to go around the block and head towards the store.

Since it's not busy at this point there isn't much to do. Make sure everything is clean keep washing the pans and any other stuff that needs to be washed. I keep this up the whole night when not busy.

The orders start rolling in around suppertime, which is what usually happens. With three of us only working it's gets kind of hard to keep up but we did it. I didn't have many deliveries tonight; it was about $210 worth in total, which is all right but not the greatest.

The best part of the night would have to be when a woman asked if we had delivery, I told her, "Yes, we do,”
she responded with, "Oh good! I don't want to have to drive in this horrible weather." “Thanks,” I think to myself.
I know it's my job and all but still, don't rub it in on how horrible the weather is and how no one should be driving in it, then ask for me to bring you your food.

This night was not filled with much excitement, work and work, drive and drive, that's about it. Also, being tired from getting up early and spending my day at school doesn’t help me remember everything that happened. Tomorrow (Friday) night will be a little different I presume. I haven’t worked a Friday in a long time, and Fridays actually scare me a little, it’s crazy busy and leaving with multiple orders at one time it gets a little confusing. The tips on the other hand are better due to more orders and more people being drunk.

In the end, some people tip well, the highest tonight was $5 with the lowest being 12cents. We have some pretty generous people around here, and they get more generous when the weather is bad


To be continued...


kahealani said...

I like your blog, therefore I subscribed to our feed. If you like my blog can you subscribe to my feed?

I look forward to reading about the next day at work.

Dinner said...

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!